What To Do If You’ve Been A Victim of Surgical Errors
Determining whether a surgical errors attorney is what you need if you or a loved one have been a victim of a surgical error is not an easy task. If you have recently undergone surgery and had a bad outcome due to a suspected error, carelessness, or negligence of a hospital physician, nurse or employee, it might be the right time to reach out to a legal expert.
Before reaching out to a surgical errors attorney, this guide may help you understand whether you may have a case and what to do before you meet with your potential new attorney regarding the recent surgical error.
Guide to Hiring A Surgical Errors Attorney
First, review the criteria of what qualifies as negligence.
Although every case is unique, there are a few errors by hospital physicians, nurses or employees that may occur during surgery that rise to the level of medical malpractice, including the following:
- Wrong-site surgery
- Wrong-patient surgery
- Performing the wrong surgical procedure
- Damaging nerves, tissues, or organs during surgery
- Performing unnecessary surgery
- Using surgical instruments that have not been sterilized
- Leaving objects behind inside the patient
- Administering too much or too little anesthesia
- Failing to provide adequate follow-up care
These types of surgical mistakes can seriously impact the patient’s quality of life as well as cause permanent injuries or even death. You should contact a surgical errors attorney if any one of these unfortunate errors happened to you.
How to prove the hospital or its employees made an error.
Proving the hospital or its physicians, nurses or employees were negligent, which would require the assistance of a surgical errors attorney, requires the establishment of four essential elements:
- A professional duty owed to the patient
- A breach of such duty
- An injury caused by the breach
- Resulting damages
If you or one of your loved ones has been injured as a result of this kind of error, it may be time to enlist the services of a surgical errors attorney.
Preparing for a meeting with a surgical errors attorney.
Most surgical errors attorneys will offer a free consultation to help you hone in on whether you have a viable legal case. In preparation for your meeting, you should gather the following information:
- Outline dates, names and contact details.
- Gather medical records, important paperwork, and medical bills.
- Create a log of all phone calls and interactions regarding the matter.
- Prepare a list of any pertinent witnesses.
- Gather any notes kept of the events.
Choosing the right surgical errors attorney.
Your choice when deciding on a surgical errors attorney matters. It is very likely, however, that you have never hired an attorney of this kind (or any kind) before, so you may not know where to begin. Here are some key things to look for when considering which surgical errors attorney is right for you:
- Look for a surgical errors attorney that has most or all of their practice dedicated to dealing with medical malpractice issues.
- Look for a surgical errors attorney that has a breadth of experience in your geographical area.
- Read the reviews. Most experienced surgical errors attorneys will have a number of Google reviews for you to get an idea of what they do well for their clients. This will help you determine if they have the style and skills you need.
- Take advantage of the free consultation. Most surgical errors attorneys will offer a free initial meeting with you. This is your chance to get to know their experience and working style to see if they will be a good fit for you and your needs.
At Bonner Law, based in Miami, FL, we have spent over 30 years representing clients in Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice litigation. Helping patients injured by medical errors and healthcare professionals being sued for medical malpractice is our area of expertise. At Bonner Law we will start with a free consultation to help you determine what your rights are under the law. From there, we will work tirelessly on your behalf to make sure you get the recovery for the damages you have suffered. If you or a loved one has been a victim of a surgical error or malpractice and are seeking a quality surgical errors attorney, for a free consultation contact Bonner Law at https://www.bonner-law.com/contact/ or call 1-800-4MEDMAL.